Sunday, April 22, 2007

Catching Up

To recap, here's an overview of the trip so far.
I started in Uzbekistan, followed by a brief stay in Kyrgyzstan.


And now I'm in China's Xinjiang province.



Tokson to Turpan
Distance: 57km
Scenery: D
Road: C-
Winds: D-
Climbing: none
Altitude effects: none (actually went below sea level)
Cultural interest: none (didn't see anybody)
Headwind!
Overcast then rain. Abandoned country road.



The Chinese are masters at manufacturing kitschy touristy sites that cater to package groups. Most of these places are of marginal interest. Turpan has a bunch of these places, but after reading a few travelogues, I narrowed my exploration down to one place: the ruins of the ancient city of Jiaohe. I set out right after breakfast to beat the tour groups and the heat.

The verdict: B. The place is huge. You get a Indiana Jones feeling if you're there alone before the tour groups led by megaphone toting guides.





I got yelled at by the guards for stepping all over the monuments. Oops. It's an UNESCO site.


Tomorrow, I'll set out for Urumqi.



Two for one special on dirty kids.



Little brat's teasing me!

Good Night.

2 comments:

Renee Braun said...

You are Indiana Jones!!! The new and improved Chinese version! My husband posted your blog on Digg.com He loved it too! Best wishes! http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Dude_is_BIKING
_from_Central_Asia_to_Tibet_with_his_laptop

sudongpo_76 said...

Thanks for the support.